Saturday, July 30, 2016

Review of Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Title : Falling Kingdoms

Author : Morgan Rhodes

Series : Falling Kingdoms #1

Genre : YA-Fantasy

Publication date : December 11th, 2012

Rating : 4/5 : ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ : "Awesome"

Note : I own a copy of this book.




Blurb :

In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... 
and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, 
and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret 
alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they
know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.

Review : 

First things first, can we just stop and stare at that awesome kick-ass cover ? It's just gorgeous!
Now, that being said, let us concentrate more on the content of the book. Falling Kingdoms has been on my TBR shelf for more long that I can remember, so I finally decided to take it from my shelf and
read it.

Rhodes' world is very captivating, the world-settlement is very well made and the writing is quite good. One thing is sure in this book : you're never bored ! Of course, that is because we have three kingdoms and each kingdom has at least one main character, and we travel through the third person's 
POV of each of the four main characters.There are betrayals and a lot of deaths, that are really well made, and I just loved reading them. So I can see the ressemblance with Game Of Thrones, who can deny it ? Although I haven't read George RR Martin's A song of Ice and Fire,I do love the tv show. 
Rhodes was inspired by A song of Ice and Fire, so what ? It's not as that epic, but it's still good. So, relax people and enjoy, and don't forget to smile too !




Let us talk about the characters now. So, like I said before, we have four main characters.

In Auranos, we have Cleiona : Ah, let me introduce you our dear spoiled perfect-looking little princess, who is like the worst decision maker in the history of decision makers.Honestly, I hated this character from the moment she was introduced to the reader. I know what the author did here : a spoiled little princess who is used at having whatever she wants at the beginning and then as the book progresses, the character becomes more responsable, more mature and all that stuff. Yeah, no, it didn't work for Cleo, at least not in this book. *Crossing fingers for the next book*

In Paelsia, we have Jonas : I didn't like him that much but I can understand perfectly his role in all of this.

In Limeros, we have Magnus and his sister Lucia. Magnus was the only character that I sincerely liked, he was fighting his own demons. He felt real and I could relate to him. 

 "Then his heart, now broken into a thousand pieces, slowly began to turn to ice "

                                             *sniff* my heart broke at the same time.


I don't think I've said it before, but I am a huge fan of characters that you just don't know if they are protagonists or antagonists because of their contradictional actions #JaimeLannister

Then, finally we have Lucia. I felt like she was a more kind and gentle version of Cleo, but that didn't make her less annoying.

But in all, I think the characters were very accurate to the story, and if I enjoyed the story, it was because the characters made it enjoyable ( I have absolutely no idea if you just understood what I said. No ? Me neither! )


However, I was very annoyed by the romance in this book. It was...disturbing ! I feel like all the romance was based upon physical appearance. Everyone was in love or attracted to our gorgeous princesses Cleo and Lucia because they were so perfect...physically. I don't want to spoil or anything but what was that romance between Cleo and her guard ? That was just...I don't even know what that was actually.
What also annoyed me in this book was the fact that there were a lot of things that were predictable, because they were just so...obvious. I mean I could see events coming from a 100 pages afar, and I'm like the worst predictor ( wait is that an actual word ? ) ever.


The book had a lot of flaws and I was basically going to give this three stars, but then I decided to give it four stars because well, I kept thinking about it days later and I so want to see what happens next.

I highly recommend this to all high fantasy fans out there, I'm sure you'll love it ^^

                                                                   ðŸŒ¹xoxo🌹


27 comments:

  1. A lot of people really seem to like this author. So glad you enjoyed this, I will put them on my to read list and hopefully get to it one day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about this series! I've had it on my theoretical TBR, though I wanted to wait for all of the books in the series to publish first, so I could binge-read them. Although... I'm not liking what you said about the romance - I would probably hate the romance! Decisions, decisions... so much to read, right? :)

    Great review!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I wanted to do haha ^^ But then I saw it at the bookstore and I bought and I just wanted to read it because it just sounded awesome >.< !!
      Yeah the romance was not what kept my interest and it's definitely one of the reasons this is not getting a 5 stars ;)
      I could't agree more ^^

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I've been meaning to pick it up - I think I have the first three books somewhere in my bookshelves. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes you should read them, I'm sure you'll like them ^^

      Delete
  4. J'ai toujours un peu de mal avec la fantasy du coup c'est vrai que je n'en lis pas beaucoup mais j'avoue que c'est sympa d'avoir un bon livre de temps en temps. En tout cas contente que tu ais passé un très bon moment. (je te suis sur bloglovin aussi)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah non moi j'adore la fantasy, c'est un de mes genre préférés ^^
      Merciii :))

      Delete
  5. This is high on my TBR and I keep meaning to pick it up. I guess I will just have to take the plunge and START READING.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely should haha ^__^ !!
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  6. Yet another series I need to read. I've heard so many great things!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the first book was good, not sure for the rest of the series >.< !!

      Delete
  7. Yet another series I need to read. I've heard so many great things!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  8. THAT COVER IS SO AWESOME! I SO agree with you! <3 I can feel your love and enthusiasm for this book so I can tell it was really a good one for you! :) I also love that you compared it to GoT because that series is the BOMB! I'm actually starting to read the first book now SO I'M SUPER EXCITED! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right ? How can someone resist not picking it up !? Ahah ^^
      I looooveee Game of thrones, it's just epic !!!
      Aww that's great that you're going to read it, I really hope you'll love it as much as I did <3

      Delete
  9. I still haven't started this series despite having heard so much about how wonderful it is. And seeing as I have been digging the fantasy series lately, I really want to read this one at some point soon. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we all take breaks sometimes from some genres to try something new, I just hope you'll get back to the Fantasy genre, and read this one, because it is awesome ;))

      Delete
  10. I always admire the covers to this series but I haven't read them yet. I'd like to try them though so maybe soon! Nice to hear that this one is good. It sounds like Cleiona is not real likable but hopefully that improves in the next one? All in all I'm curious about these! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are indeed amazing !! Yes, I definitely hope fhat Cleiona will kind of "improve" in the next book because she really annoyed me !!
      Well, thank you, and I hope you'll get to read it too and that you'll enjoy it as much as I did :))

      Delete
  11. Omg yes! I think I fell in love when I saw that cover, it's just so beautiful!! <3

    And this sounds really good! Except for the part about the romance being only superficial, that's a shame. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's so beautiful that I just had to buy it and read it ^__^ !!
      Yes, unfortunately I wasn't a fan of the romance but I hope it will better in the next book *crossing fingers* :))

      Delete
  12. Make a review of "La prophétie des andes" it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't this book AMAZING?! IT was the fantasy novel I was dying to read and it delivered in everything!

    The romance was a mess, but I did like Magnus' unrequited love. It made him more interesting.

    I unfortunately thought that Rebel Springs was a weaker story. ):

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it definitely was ! And I agree with you with the romance, it was a total mess, really !!
      Oh no, really ? Well, I'm going to read it anyway and I hope I'll actually manage to enjoye it :))

      Delete
  14. Lovely review! This has been on my radar for years but haven't been convinced to pick this and read but maybe now I would. <3

    Yani // Paper Boulevard

    ReplyDelete